1. No matter how low you consider yourself, there is always someone ______ you wishing they were that high.
A. getting rid of B. getting along with
C. looking up to D. looking down upon
2. Joining the firm as a clerk, he got rapid promotion, and ______ as a manager.
A. ended up B. dropped out C. came back D. started off
3. It takes a lot of ______ to become a good swimmer.
A. train B. exercise C. practice D. performance
4. The Minister's refusal to meet the press ______ just how serious the crisis is.
A. detected B. relieved C. revealed D. concealed
5. Supplying food and employment, regulating our climate and providing transportation, the ocean is ______ to our lives in many ways.
A. basic B. accessible C. dramatic D. known
1.【答案】C。解析：句意为：无论你把自己看得多么的低微，总是有人仰慕你并希望达到你的高度。本题考查动词词组辨析。look up to 仰视、尊敬;get rid of 除掉;get along with 相处、进展;look down upon 轻视、看不起。
2.【答案】A。解析：句意为：他进入公司时只是一个小职员，后来晋升很快，最终当上了经理。本题考查动词短语辨析。end up as+职位/职业表示最终做了某职位或职业";drop out 退学或退出;come back 回来;start off 出发。
4.【答案】C。解析：根据题意，应该是首相拒绝与媒体见面，揭示了危机的严重性。detect 发现 ; relieve解除，减轻;revealed显示，揭露; concealed隐藏，结合题意C为正确答案。
5.【答案】A 。解析：根据状语部分可知，应该是海洋在很多方面是我们生活的基础，故A为答案。accessible 可进入的;dramatic 戏剧性的。