Students will know the usage of the frequency adverbs and the sentence structure “How often...?”.
Students can use the sentence structure freely in their daily life.
Students will be more confident in learning English and not afraid of speaking English.
Key and difficult point:
Key Point: Students will know how to use the sentence structure in their daily life.
Difficult Point: Students can cultivate their confidence in learning English.
Step 1: Warming-up
2. Ask students what they usually do in their spare time and why, and ask some of them to share with the whole class.
Step 2: Presentation
1. Listen to the tape for the first time and find out what the speaker does every day, and then invite students share their answers.
2. Ask students the following questions: how often does the speaker watch TV? How often does the speaker listen to music? And then write down the sentence on the blackboard.
3. Explain the sentence structure to students: the sentence structure is used to ask questions about how many times something has been done or how many times a state exists in a given period of time.
4. The teacher read the dialogue and ask students to read after it to get a deep understanding.
Step 3: Practice
1. Role-play. Ask students work in pairs and role play the dialogue. Then invite two groups to show in front of the class.
2. Play a game: word cards. Invite two couples of students. Ask one student to choose the card in the box and then ask the other students the question “ how often do you...?” using the activities showed in the card, and then change their role.
Let students work in groups of 4 and discuss on the topic: how often do you...? according to their own hobbies. After that invite two groups to present in the whole class.
Step5: Summary and Homework
Summary: ask a student to conclude the content of the lesson and summarize with the whole class.
Homework: ask students to ask their friends “ how often do you...?” after class and write down on the exercise book.
1. Can you tell me the difference between “How often...?” and “How long...?”?
The first sentence structure is used to ask questions about how many times something has been done or how many times a state exists in a given period of time. The second sentence structure includes two different usage: one is used to ask how long does it take. It's mainly used to ask questions for a period of time; the other is used to ask for the length of something.
2. What do you usually do in your spare time?
I really have a great passion for sports, i like to do yoga, cycling and jogging. Take jogging for example. It stimulates me to learn more about body -building. Secondly, I am able to meet new friends through my hobby. Lastly, the hobby will teach me some self-discipline, because to do it regularly is so challenging.